Recommended Books and Websites
Our site also features a listing of suggested readings of more general business and non-process improvement topics.
- www.iSixSigma.com provides articles on a wealth of Six Sigma subjects as well as a virtual discussion area devoted to Six Sigma topics.
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) offers a wide range of resources, including information on certification and standards
- The Ohio State University COE Certification is the high standard that MoreSteam and other industry leaders follow for Green Belts and Black Belts.
- The Process Excellence Network portal (commentary, articles, Webcasts)
- www.LEAN.ORG is a site operated by noted "Lean Thinking" author James Womack, and offers downloads of Lean presentations.
- Lean Blog is a content-rich blog by Mark Graban on Lean and Six Sigma in Healthcare, hospitals, business and the world.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Skymark provides short tutorials on several process improvement tools
- Simulations of the Central Limit Theorem can be found at http://onlinestatbook.com/stat_sim/sampling_dist/index.html
- Andrew Gelman's Statistical Modeling blog delivers daily and weekly observations on Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science
Lean Six Sigma Event Providers
- The American Society for Quality (ASQ) offers a full roster of local , regional, and national events for quality and Six Sigma. They traditionally hold a large Six Sigma Summit in the first quarter of the year. Their event calendar is updated on a regular basis
- Six Sigma and Process Excellence (a division of IQPC) offers international Lean Six Sigma events throughout the year, including a large annual event in January: www.sixsigmaiq.com/events.cfm
Online Statistics Handbooks
- An excellent statistics handbook is available free online from a partnership of SEMATECH and NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology - U.S. Commerce Department) at: http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/index.htm
- Statistics case studies, tutorials, and simulations are available online from Rice University at: http://onlinestatbook.com/rvls.html
- Statsoft, the marketer of Statistica®, offers an excellent online statistics handbook at www.statsoft.com/textbook/stathome.html
Lean and Six Sigma Textbooks
Process Improvement and Six Sigma
- Murray Adams, Mark Kiemele, Lee Pollock and Tom Quan, Lean Six Sigma: A Tools Guide (Air Academy Press, 2004) ISBN: 1800156075
- W. Edwards Deming Out of the Crisis (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Advanced Engineering Study 1982, 1986), ISBN: 0262541157
- Joseph M. Juran and A. Blanton Godfrey, Juran's Quality Handbook (McGraw-Hill, 1999), ISBN: 007034003X
- Mark Kiemele, Richard Murrow, and Lee Pollock, Knowledge Based Management (Air Academy Press, 2007) ISBN: 1880156083
- Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, Ltd / Factory Magazine, Poka-Yoke: Improving Product Quality by Preventing Defects (Productivity Press, 1988), ISBN: 0-915299-31-3
- Lee Pollock and Mark Kiemele, Reversing the Culture of Waste: 50 Best Practices for Achieving Process Excellence (Air Academy Press, 2013), ISBN: 9781880156094
- Thomas Pyzdek, The Six Sigma Project Planner : A Step-by-Step Guide to Leading a Six Sigma Project Through DMAIC ( McGraw-Hill 2003), ISBN: 0071411836
- Donald J. Wheeler and David S. Chambers, Understanding Statistical Process Control (Statistical Process Controls, Inc. 1986), ISBN: 0945320132
Statistics / Design of Experiments
- Mark J. Anderson and Patrick J. Whitcomb, DOE Simplified: Practical Tools for Effective Experimentation (Quality Management) (Productivity, Inc. 2000), ISBN: 1-56327-225-3
- George E. P. Box, William G. Hunter and J. Stuart Hunter, Statistics for Experimenters: An Introduction to Design, Data Analysis, and Model Building (John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1978), ISBN: 0-471-09315-7
- Mark J. Kiemele, Stephen R. Schmidt, and Ronald J. Berdine, Basic Statistics: Tools for Continuous Improvement , (Air Academy Press 2000), ISBN: 1880156067
- Douglas C. Montgomery, Design and Analysis of Experiments (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1984, ISBN: 0-471-86812-4.
- Stephen R. Schmidt, Robert G. Launsby, Understanding Industrial Designed Experiments , (Air Academy Press, 1998), ISBN: 1880156032
- Genichi Taguchi, Introduction to Quality Engineering: Designing Quality into Products and Processes (Asian Productivity Organization, 1986), ISBN: 92-833-1084-5
- Peter M. Senge, The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of the Learning Organization (Currency Doubleday, 1990), ISBN: 0-385-26095-4
- Senge, Ross, Smith, Roberts, Kleiner, The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook (Currency Doubleday, 1994), ISBN: 0-385-47256-0
- Shigeo Shingo, The Sayings of Shigeo Shingo: Key Strategies for Plant Improvement (Japanese Management) (Productivity Press, 1987), ISBN: 0-915299-15-1
- Shigeo Shingo, Non-Stock Production: The Shingo System of Continuous Improvement (Most Detailed Examination of the Fundamentals of Jit) (Productivity Press, 1988), ISBN: 0-915299-30-5
- Taiichi Ohno, Toyota Production System: Beyond Large-Scale Production (Productivity Press 1988), ISBN: 0-915299-14-3
- James P. Womack and Daniel T. Jones, Lean Thinking - Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation (Simon & Schuster, 1996), ISBN: 0-684-81035-2