Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt Training and Certification
MoreSteam.com has partnered with the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University to present an innovative Master Black Belt development program.
Blending the Best of Online & Classroom Training
WHAT: Our Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt development program integrates classroom instruction on the campus of The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio with online learning on advanced topics provided by MoreSteam.com.
The curriculum covers: Design for Lean Six Sigma, Generating Creative Solutions, Fundamentals of Project Management, Advanced Statistical Tools, Advanced Lean Methods, Process Modeling, Leadership and Coaching, and Financial Analysis.
WHO: The program is designed for experienced Lean Six Sigma Black Belts who are prepared to advance their mastery of the technical and leadership subjects that comprise the Master Black Belt body of knowledge and practice.
HOW: Training consists of two weeks of classroom instruction on the Ohio State campus integrated with two weeks (72 hours) of online learning from MoreSteam.com.
The faculty is provided by OSU's Fisher College of Business, MoreSteam.com, and Minitab, Inc. Classroom weeks are scheduled on a quarterly basis, and you may start in any sequence.
WHY: Because it's time for you to receive the next level of recognition.
Once you have completed the coursework and developed enough experience, you are eligible for the certification process. Graduates receive a Master Black Belt Certificate from The Ohio State University.
- Two weeks of classroom instruction (80 hours) on the Fisher College of Business campus, and
- 72 hours of online learning through the MoreSteam.com portal.
The Ohio State and MoreSteam program is based on a Blended Learning model. The curriculum incorporates world-class instruction delivered in:
Training is then followed by testing, verification of experience, an oral interview and other certification requirements. When you have completed these requirements, you will be awarded certification through The Ohio State University.
You can attend the classroom sessions in any order. They are scheduled on a quarterly basis at The Union at OSU (see below for the current training schedule). The faculty is provided by Ohio State's Fisher College of Business, MoreSteam.com, and Minitab, Inc.
You can access and complete the online components at your own pace during the intervals between on-campus sessions. All you need is an Internet connection, course login and password to get started.
Want to see the what the online coursework looks like? Then take our brief course tour.
Topics and Timing
Are you an experienced Lean Six Sigma Black Belt (at least five years of work) looking to advance your mastery of technical and leadership subjects?
If yes, then you'll find our program both rigorous and rewarding. Because the program blends online and live training, you receive the flexibility and control you need to accommodate your already busy schedule demands.
Once you have successfully completed the coursework, you can apply for certification, which is included as part of the program cost.
Need justification for your Employer?
Need a little help convincing the boss of the value of the program? Here's a handy template that you can use to position the details, benefits and costs of our program.
- A balanced, relevant and rigorous curriculum
The four-week Master Black Belt program covers the skills you'll need to succeed: leadership, coaching, advanced statistics, finance, and more. It also includes advanced Lean and process modeling, two vital topics areas not covered by other Master Black Belt programs.
- A flexible blended model
With Blended Learning, the student controls the pace. You can start any online course at any time, and you attend the classroom weeks in any order.
- Highly qualified instructors
The program faculty, from OSU, MoreSteam.com and Minitab, Inc. (listed below), represents decades of professional Lean Six Sigma experience and affiliation with an internationally recognized university.
- The right price
The cost of Master Black Belt certification varies widely, as does the quality of the program. Our blended curriculum delivers deep content at an affordable price. There are no extra fees for certification or exams.
This Master Black Belt development program is:
- A balanced, relevant and rigorous curriculum
- Selected recent quotes from our alums:
- "The Master Black Belt program helped guide me, an experienced Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, towards a higher awareness of process excellence. The comprehensive, yet flexible, combination of classroom and online training helped prepare me to take my game to the next level."
- - Tim Rollo, Fresenius Medical Care; Director, IMPAQ Program Office, North America and current Master Black Belt Candidate
- May 12-16, 2014 @ Blackwell Inn -Class Full
- November 3-7, 2014 @Fawcett Center
- September 15-19, 2014
- Design for Lean Six Sigma
- Fundamentals of Project Management
- Advanced Statistics
- Ideation/TRIZ (pre-recorded or live Webinars)
One advantage of this program is that you can take the following live and online classes in any order.
Advanced Stats & Leadership Week (Classroom)
The Fawcett Center - The Ohio State University, 2400 Olentangy River Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43210, Phone: 614.292.1342 Directions
Blackwell Inn - The Ohio State University, 2110 Tuttle Park Place - Columbus, Ohio 43210, Phone: 614-247-4000 Homepage
Advanced Lean & Finance Week (Classroom)
@ The Fawcett Center - The Ohio State University, 2400 Olentangy River Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43210, Phone: 614.292.1342 Directions
e-Learning (Online Coursework)
We limit participation in this program to Certified Black Belts with five years of process improvement experience, including three years as a Black Belt. This rigorous program assumes a mastery of the full Black Belt body of knowledge as a foundation.
Does your Black Belt qualify?
Many third party training providers and certification programs do not cover the full Black Belt body of knowledge, as we apply it. Please review the body of knowledge to identify and resolve any gaps prior to starting the program.
The program cost is $10,000, which includes the certification candidate evaluation process.
Note that most other Master Black Belt training programs cost twice the price of this program and require four weeks or more of classroom time. Not only is this program more affordable, it allows you far greater flexibility and control over the pace and order of your studies.
The enrollment fee covers all costs for courses and materials, although program participants must have access to a laptop loaded with the latest version of Minitab. You can begin your enrollment by contacting MoreSteam.com.
The faculty for this program is provided by Ohio State's Fisher College of Business, MoreSteam.com, and Minitab, Inc.
Faculty from The Ohio State University
Professor of Finance, The Ohio State University Fisher College of Buisness
D. SCOTT SINK, Ph.D., P.E.
LeanSigma Certification Program Director; Integrated Systems Engineering, College of Engineering, The Ohio State University
Scott Sink's example lecture: "Building Discipline Around the DMAIC Methodology: Tollgate Review Best Practices"
Senior Lecturer, Accounting and MIS, The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business
DR. JEFFREY D. FORD
Professor of Management & Human Resources, The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business
Faculty from MoreSteam.com
DR. LARS MAASEIDVAAG
Senior Faculty, MoreSteam.com
Lars Maaseidvaag's example lecture: "Core Process Pull: Little's Law in Action"
Lars Maaseidvaag's example lecture: "Introduction to Replenishment Pull"
Lars Maaseidvaag's example lecture: "Driving Insight Through Process Modeling"
Principal Statistician, MoreSteam.com
Smita Skrivanek's example lecture: "The Transactional Dilemma: Understanding Regression with Attribute Data"
Smita Skrivanek's example lecture: "Experimental Design in the Transactional Arena"
Bill Hathaway's example lecture: "Process Design Thinking - Simple Methods to Get it Right the First Time"
Consultant, Vogt Consulting
Sheryl Vogt's example lecture: "Translating Customer Expectations with Quality Function Deployment"
Faculty from Minitab, Inc.
Technical Training Specialist, Minitab, Inc.
Recorded video lecture on iSixSigma.com: "Understanding Statistical Process Control"
Materials Provided by MoreSteam
- Microsoft® Excel® templates for problem solving and statistical analysis. The templates are available as downloads within the course material.
Materials Provided by Student/Company
- You must own or purchase a copy of the latest version of Minitab for this course. Excel templates are provided by the course for statistical analysis. If you do not have a statistics package, options range from free internet downloads to higher-end packages like EngineRoom®, Minitab®, Statistica®, JMP® etc. You can download a 30-day evaluation copy of most statistics packages over the Web.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Office 2003 or higher is recommended. Office 97 and 2000 do not take advantage of all Excel template features.
At the start of the program, you will be assigned an instructor (Master Black Belt) who will be your primary contact regarding questions and certification requirements.
When in your online training courses, you can use the on-screen Help features (e.g., glossary of terms and site search) for information. You can contact the Course Instructor by email during regular business hours to request assistance.
For general e-Learning technical support, you can visit our MoreSteam University support section, where you can search through our online knowledgebase. You can also send us a support request.
System Requirements for Online Courses
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows® with Microsoft Office® (Word®, Excel®). MS Office® 2007 or higher recommended. MS Office 2003 will not take advantage of all Excel template features.
- Display Properties Setting: Viewed best with High Color (16 Bit) or True Color (32 Bit) and 1024 x 768 screen size.
- Audio: Sound Card and Speakers or Headphones
- Internet Connection: high speed encouraged
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher (Free Download), or Firefox 7.0 or higher. Browser must be enabled to read Java.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Free Download, latest version, see below
- Flash 10 Player: Free Download, latest version, see below
- Java™ SE Runtime Environment: Free Download, see below
- Internet Explorer
- Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe Reader
Click here to test your system
Click on any of the links below to download the latest software:
What will I learn in this program?
In conjunction with leading process improvement deployments, MoreSteam and The Ohio State University Center of Operational Excellence have established a rigorous, advanced curriculum as the basis for this Master Black Belt development program.
Does the order of training matter?
Not at all. You can take the classroom weeks in whichever order you would like, and the online training is on-demand. You will need to have all of the training completed before you can begin the certification process.
Is there a central portal for information?
Yes. When you enroll in the program, you will be given access to a convenient class Web portal, along with course information, schedules, and other pertinent information.