Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Course
Are you ready to become a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt?
The Black Belt is an expert team leader, statistical analyst, and project manager - all rolled into one. As a Black Belt in training, you will learn how to master this diverse set of "soft" and "hard" skills so that, when you complete the course, you can quickly lead critical projects to successful completion.
NOTE: This course requires you to use statistical software. EngineRoom is MoreSteam.com's preferred program and comes free for 365 days with the purchase of this course.
Clicking one of the buttons below will change the Materials and System Requirements sections.
This instructor-supported course is 145 hours long, and you have access to the materials for 365 days.
Relevance is critical to understanding the materials! When you enroll in the course, you select the version of statistical software you plan to use, and you also have other industry options to choose from (see Course Options section below).
The objective of this course is to develop a comprehensive set of skills that will allow you to function effectively as a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
You will learn the Lean Six Sigma Black Belt body of knowledge, practice techniques for both quantitative and non-quantitative analysis, and gain the team leadership skills necessary to get projects across the goal line.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Communicate using Lean Six Sigma concepts.
- Think about your organization as a collection of processes, with inputs that determine the output.
- Relate Lean Six Sigma concepts to the overall business mission and objectives.
- Use the concept of a Sigma Level to evaluate the capability of a process or organization.
- Understand and apply the five step DMAIC model as a framework to organize process improvement activity.
- Employ a wide range of process improvement techniques, including Design of Experiments, within the DMAIC model.
- Recognize the organizational factors that are necessary groundwork for a successful Lean Six Sigma effort.
- Employ your Six Sigma skills to lead a successful process improvement project delivering meaningful results to the organization.
To successfully complete this course, you must review all of the lessons and complete all of the quiz modules. MoreSteam will provide you with a Certificate of Training Completion. By completing this course, you will earn CEUs or PDUs of credit.
This course consists of twelve sessions, each of which is a collection of related lessons.
Individual lessons also include simulations, toolsets and interactive practice exercises. Each session ends with an interactive quiz to test your knowledge.
The course is presented in a logical sequence to follow the Six Sigma DMAIC improvement process. We believe that you will learn most efficiently by following the sequence presented.
In particular, the first session presents an overview of Six Sigma, which will be helpful to put the remaining sessions in proper context.
On every page, you have access to a variety of helpful learning tools, from an online encyclopedia to a notes tab to support links. You can use the course navigation map to move through the course in a linear fashion or you can skip around and explore topics as you see fit.
Want to see what the course looks like? Then take our brief course tour.
Efficient, Informative and Accessible
- All course content is presented online, in an on-demand format. To begin, you simply log onto the MoreSteam University learning portal.
- You will learn the DMAIC methodology through numerous case studies and examples drawn from Service, Business Process, and Manufacturing applications.
- Coursework includes Lean enterprise topics such as value stream mapping, continuous flow, line balancing, and others.
- With a heavy practice orientation, as much as 1/2 of your time will be spent working through interactive practice exercises and online assessments.
- Green Belt is NOT a prerequisite.
- You have 365 days to complete this course.
The Black Belt is the heart of the Lean Six Sigma operation. As a Black Belt, you can lead any team across the organization in executing process improvement projects. You may also conduct Lean Six Sigma training and act as coaches and mentors to other Belts-in-training.
If your personal and career goal is to master this skill set and improve your value as an employee and organizational leader, then you should earn your Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
- Flexible: This course is presented in a logical, DMAIC format, but the sessions are modular, so you can explore the material as, how, and when you like.
- Accessible: Online training is available to you wherever you have an Internet connection and a browser.
- Responsive: The quizzes provide immediate feedback. The practice-based interactive exercise will engage your interest and help you to remember the material.
- Affordable: e-Learning has a far lower cost than classroom training. You have no travel expenses and don't miss valuable days at work.
- Meaningful: As proof of your expertise, you will receive a certificate of completion and CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Online training through MoreSteam is:
- Selected recent quotes from our alums:
- "I have taken many type of online training. This one ranks up there with the best. Especially the ability to stop the training and be able to pick right back up when you start again."
- - Ernest E., Schneider Electric
- "I heartily recommend the MoreSteam Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course to those interested in a vigorous and interesting endeavor. I found the course to be both challenging and entertaining."
- - Julius M., Valero Renewable Fuels
- "The course was even better than I expected. The different types of material, technical, quality, managerial, and mathematical were all handled and integrated very well. It was enjoyable to study and learn."
- - Richard P., General Dynamics
- "The online training was extremely well researched, resourced and easy to follow. The different practice exercises were also very good and gave the required practice equivalent to doing live class exercises. I'll highly recommend the course to anyone!"
- - Mthokozisi N., Johannesburg Water
- "A very cost effective way to get the training I needed. The high travel and tuition costs associated with other programs were a barrier for me and my manager."
- - Kay D., GENCO Pharmaceutical Services
- "I highly recommend the course! MoreSteam is top of its class!!"
- - Tim Y., Polypipe Incorporated
- "The course has provided me with priceless knowledge to execute successfully Lean Six Sigma Improvement projects. All improvement team in my company have decided to take online training with Moresteam University. Excellent Course and support from Moresteam team."
- - Ali A., RasGas
This course is available in several "industry flavors": Manufacturing (default), Healthcare, Financial Services, and Services.
Each version features customized case studies, examples and exercises. You can select your version when you purchase the course.
This course is offered for different versions of statistical software: EngineRoom®, EngineRoom® for Excel, Minitab® (version 17+), and JMP® (version 11). We have customized the datasets and instructions for each tool version.
When you enroll in the EngineRoom version, you receive 365 days of access to EngineRoom, MoreSteam's web-based data analysis tool to use along with the course and tutorials.
If you select the Minitab or JMP version of the course, you will need to purchase and provide your own license of the software.
We offer this course in these additional languages:
Chinese (ZH) | Spanish (ES)
At MoreSteam, we adhere to a high standard, where certification requires you to complete this training course, a comprehensive exam, and two approved projects.
Black Belt Certification is a separate process, and you must purchase certification separately from any online training course. For more information, visit the Black Belt certification page.
Material Provided by MoreSteam.com
The course content includes a host of reference materials, video tutorials, practice data sets (provided as Microsoft Excel files) for engaging in statistical analysis, and an easily printed workbook for both note taking and additional exercises.
This course includes a a copy of EngineRoom® for Excel, our Excel-based solution for data analysis.
Material Provided by Student
MoreSteam eLearning is provided entirely online; all you need to access and make use of the course content is an internet connection, a modern browser and spreadsheet software. Please review the system requirements below.
When in your training course, you can use the on-screen Help features (e.g., glossary of terms and site search) for information. You can contact the Course Instructor by email during regular business hours to request assistance.
For general technical support, you can visit our MoreSteam University support section, where you can search through our online knowledge base or send us a support request.
The following are system requirements for MoreSteam eLearning:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows (7 and higher) or Apple Mac OS X
- Microsoft Office®: English-language (U.S.) version 2007 or higher.
- Network: Microsoft Excel must be running locally. EngineRoom will not perform correctly if you are running Microsoft Excel over a network as a distributed application.
- Versions: Only one version of Microsoft Excel can exist. EngineRoom will not perform correctly if there are multiple versions of Microsoft Excel installed on a single computer.
- Macro Security: EngineRoom contains macros; therefore Microsoft Excel macro security must be set to medium or lower.
- Toolpaks: The Microsoft Excel Analysis Toolpak and Analysis Toolpak VBA must be installed.
- Display Properties Setting: Minimum 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
- Audio: Optional audio in course.
- Chrome: Version 23+
- Edge: Version 3+
- Firefox: Version 17+
- Internet Explorer: Version 11+ (non-tablet)
- Safari: Version 6+
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Latest version
- Flash 10 Player: Latest version
Note: The course content requires that any pop-up blocker be disabled.
When can I begin the course?
With e-Learning, you can start at any time after purchase. You do not have to wait for other students to fill a class or have to attend an instructor-led "kickoff" event. All the materials and instructions are online, and you can complete the course at your own pace.
Are there pre-requisites to this course?
This course has no pre-requisites. Unlike other online providers, we do not require you to take any prerequisite course, Green Belt or other, prior to your Black Belt training. Our Black Belt course includes - as a subset - all of the material you would learn for a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt. If you have already taken MoreSteam's Green Belt course, contact us to request an upgrade to Black Belt.
How long does Black Belt training take?
You have 365 days to complete the course, which represents about 140 hours of training materials, not including any external project work you may include.
Do I need a project to complete the training?
No, you do not necessarily need a Black Belt project, but we strongly suggest that you do accompany the coursework with a meaningful project.
A real-world project will significantly enhance the learning experience because you can use it to directly practice the concepts and tools as you complete the course. Successful project work is also required for any certification process.
Do you offer pricing discounts for groups of trainees and deployments?
Of course! Many of our larger customers send tens to hundreds of employees through Black Belt training. Please contact us directly to discuss your specific needs.