Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
If you have taken or plan to take our Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course, then you have the option to purchase and complete our Black Belt certification course.
At MoreSteam, training and certification are two separate processes. To earn Black Belt certification, you must:
- Purchase and complete our online Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Course,
- Achieve a passing score (80%) on the Black Belt final examination, and
- Complete two successful Lean Six Sigma improvement projects.
Black Belt certification represents the extensive study and proper application of Lean, Six Sigma and other process improvement techniques. It's an impressive accomplishment that can result in advancement at work and increased compensation and responsibility.
Want to earn your certification?
To achieve Black Belt certification, you must complete the following:
- Training: Successful completion of the MoreSteam course of study,
- Testing: A passing score on the comprehensive final exam,
- Application: A detailed review of two successful Lean Six Sigma improvement projects
- Explanation: An oral defense of the project work.
These steps are described in greater detail lower on this page.
You are expected to complete the course and requirements within an 18-month period. Upon award of the certification, you will receive a signed certificate suitable for framing.
Please note: there is no guarantee of certification, and the certification process is only available to MoreSteam students.
How Does MoreSteam Compare to Other Certifications?
We subscribe to the belt certification standards established by the Center of Operational Excellence at the Fisher School of Business at The Ohio State University. As a result, MoreSteam certification is valued more highly by hiring managers and deployment leaders.
If you would like to compare MoreSteam's Black Belt certification to other popular programs, such as ASQ and Villanova University, visit our Black Belt comparison page.
The Black Belt is the heart of the Lean Six Sigma operation. As a Black Belt, you can lead any team across the organization in executing process improvement projects. You may also conduct Lean Six Sigma training and act as coaches and mentors to other Belts-in-training.
If your goal is to master this skill set and improve your value as an employee, then you should earn your Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
Certification - the recognition that you have both studied and successfully practiced the application of process improvement - is a more formal step in the process. It takes longer to acquire certification, but once you have done so, you will have proof of your competence and abilities.
While certification is not required for Lean Six Sigma practitioners, most authorities and leaders value certification more highly, especially when it comes from a known and reliable source.
- Increase your personal skill set and value
- Have the opportunity for increased responsibility, recognition and earnings
- Can positively impact the health and efficiency of your organization
With Black Belt certification from a respected provider, you:
- Test Duration: 5 hours
- Test Length: 120 questions
- Passing Grade: 80%
- Test Coverage: Materials included in the MoreSteam Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course
MoreSteam's Belt Certification requires that you pass a final Black Belt exam.
This is an online exam based on the Lean Six Sigma body of Knowledge. You will need to have completed your MoreSteam training class prior to taking the final examination.
Where is the test located?
This test is online and available through the same MoreSteam University learning portal as the belt training class and the TRACtion project manager.
Who grades the test?
The test is automatically graded once you are finished. You will be given an opportunity to review your results.
Can I retake the test?
If you do not pass on the first attempt, you can re-take the test once after a one-month waiting period.
Can I complete my test as the last qualification for certification?
Sorry, no. You must pass your exam prior to project review.
- 2 projects Required: Project Requirements Checklist
- Time to Complete: 18 months (includes training period)
- Type of Report: First project in full detail, second is overview
- Interview Required: No
- Required Project Coverage: Materials included in the MoreSteam Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course
MoreSteam's Belt Certification requires that you complete two successful process improvement projects to prove that you have the ability to apply your knowledge.
Projects are structured Belt activities that must follow the DMAIC framework and must yield improvement in a performance metric that is important to your organization's mission.
To complete your certification, we require that you successfully complete improvement projects that demonstrate the effective application of what you learned in your course.
How do I keep track of my projects?
You will receive access to TRACtion, our online project management and tracking tool. Once you have registered for and purchased certification, we will send you information on how to access and use TRACtion.
TRACtion guides you through the project process with critical questions, tollgate reviews, templates, links to training and more. Learn more about TRACtion.
How long do I have to complete the projects?
All Black Belt project requirements should be completed no later than 18 months after the start of Black Belt training and certification.
If you are unable to meet the specified due date, we may grant you a short extension based on a reasonable written request. The request must clearly include proper justification in order for us to consider the extension.
Will I receive help on my project?
Our instructors are available to assist you. For example, it's a good idea to submit your completed project charter for review before you get too far along in your project to make sure it's acceptable and scoped correctly. All MBB commentary will be captured inside of TRACtion.
What are the Project Requirements?
For each project, we require a clear explanation of your actions. The final project report must include an interpretation of the process and results (i.e., what you did, why you did what you did, and what it means).
In your final project submissions, you should include documentation to show mastery of the body of knowledge as described in the Project Requirements documentation (PDF).
- This certification has no pre-requisites, but you will need to either have taken or plan to take MoreSteam's Lean Six Sigma Black Belt online training course.
- You will need to purchase both the training and certification through the online store or by contacting MoreSteam directly.
Materials Provided by MoreSteam
- To help you manage your projects, you will receive access to TRACtion, our online project management and tracking tool. Once you have registered for and purchased certification, we will send you information on how to access and use TRACtion.
- TRACtion guides you through the project process with critical questions, tollgate reviews, templates, links to training and more. Learn more about TRACtion.
Support from MoreSteam
- Our instructors are available to assist you. For example, it's a good idea to submit your completed project charter for review before you get too far along in your project to make sure it's acceptable and scoped correctly. All MBB commentary will be captured inside of TRACtion.
The following are system requirements for MoreSteam eLearning:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows (7 and higher) or Apple Mac OS X
- Microsoft Office®: English-language (U.S.) version 2007 or higher.
- Network: Microsoft Excel must be running locally. EngineRoom will not perform correctly if you are running Microsoft Excel over a network as a distributed application.
- Versions: Only one version of Microsoft Excel can exist. EngineRoom will not perform correctly if there are multiple versions of Microsoft Excel installed on a single computer.
- Macro Security: EngineRoom contains macros; therefore Microsoft Excel macro security must be set to medium or lower.
- Toolpaks: The Microsoft Excel Analysis Toolpak and Analysis Toolpak VBA must be installed.
- Display Properties Setting: Minimum 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
- Audio: Optional audio in course.
- Chrome: Version 23+
- Edge: Version 3+
- Firefox: Version 17+
- Internet Explorer: Version 11+ (non-tablet)
- Safari: Version 6+
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Latest version
Note: The course content requires that any pop-up blocker be disabled.
Why do we offer certification separate from training?
Certification is a process that confirms your mastery of the Lean Six Sigma knowledgebase and proves you can successfully apply the tools and techniques to projects. Training providers who throw in a so-called "certification" at the end of their course are in fact only offering a certificate that shows knowledge, not proof of application. Experienced process improvement leaders and hiring managers discern this difference and place a far higher value on MoreSteam's rigorous certification process.
What is the difference between Green Belt and Black Belt certification?
Six Sigma practitioners adopted an advancement system that parallels martial arts -- the darker the belt, the more advanced skills held. For a visual example of the differences, view our online Lean Six Sigma Belt comparison graph.
When it comes to training and certification, the distinction between what constitutes 'Green Belt' competency and 'Black Belt' competency varies across the industry. Find out how MoreSteam distinguishes between the two levels in this direct comparison table (PDF).
How can I maintain my certification?
You are required to recertify every five years to ensure that you are maintaining the knowledge and skills demonstrated on your comprehensive exam and certification project(s). The recertification model provides the opportunity to demonstrate ongoing professional activity in the areas of project work, continuing education, and coaching or teaching. Download the recertification overview and form.