Project review simulation for Sponsors & Champions
Tollgate Adventure was designed to provide guided practice for Lean Six Sigma project sponsors and champions in leading a series of project tollgate reviews. The role play emphasizes the critical thinking required of sponsors and champions which then reinforces critical thinking in project teams.
This simulation builds participants' confidence in knowing what needs to be done during the tollgate process and how it should be carried out. Participants practice how to ask good, open-ended questions - rather than making evaluative statements - to demonstrate behaviors consistent with a continuous improvement culture.
Too often, tollgate reviews are reduced to merely reporting information and checking the boxes because leaders aren't clear about their roles and how to carry them out. Tollgate Adventure lays out a forward look at the project's likelihood of success within a forum for management review and inquiry. When leaders ask questions instead of judging and directing actions, it encourages problem-solving at the team level.
In Tollgate Adventure, sponsors and champions are presented with a realistic scenario of a less than perfect project. Online videos, interactive question-answer sequences, and dynamic scorecards create an experiential learning activity that follows the E.A.T. sequence: experience, application, and theory.
Tollgate Adventure is a short, self-paced simulation that can be completed individually or as part of a small team. Participants are presented with short video clips of a full set of DMAIC project tollgate reviews. Each tollgate review is broken into snippets of a project team leader’s presentation. If clarification or additional information is needed, the participant may ask questions or provide comments to guide the team’s activity. Responses are scored on the basis of contributing or detracting from the project’s effectiveness, as well as progressing –or holding back– project completion.
It can be used as a standalone training or coupled with the 15-hour online Lean Six Sigma Champion course.
- Designed to build confidence and competence in leading the tollgate process
- Participants can complete the simulation in a half-day or less
- Flexible training solution that can be completed by an individual or a class
- Online simulation means no new hardware, software, or materials
- Pricing per individual is scalable to your needs and to your budget
- Demonstrates the critical thinking required of the sponsor/champion role and provides practice in question-driven reviews
- Models the review format and leadership behaviors to reinforce a culture of continuous improvement
- Highlights common tollgate trouble areas such as project scope and technical tools
- Provides immediate feedback about the likely impact on project effectiveness and timeliness based on the participant's responses
Do I need to download software to run Tollgate Adventure?
No. Tollgate Adventure is a web-based simulation; no software is required. It will run on virtually any computer with an Internet connection and an up-to-date browser (Microsoft Edge or higher, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari). No additional materials are required.
Can Tollgate Adventure be completed on an individual basis or must it be done as a group?
Either. It can be completed individually without any facilitation, or on an individual basis in a facilitated class that provides discussion time, or as part of a team of 2-3 in a facilitated class.
Are instructor materials available?
Yes, if you choose to facilitate Tollgate Adventure with a group, an instructor version is available that includes a master scorecard to monitor participant results, facilitation tips, and discussion guide.