Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Course
We've designed this quick, popular e-Learning course to provide you with a broad understanding of the Lean Six Sigma improvement methodology, concepts, and language.
The online training includes a complete toolbox of basic process improvement methods and Lean tools and techniques and shows you how they are applied within the Lean Six Sigma DMAIC framework.
NOTE: This course comes with EngineRoom® statistical software at no additional charge. EngineRoom® is MoreSteam.com's preferred software and will be available to Yellow Belt students for 365 days with the purchase of this course.
This course will provide you with an overview of Lean Six Sigma concepts and tools. You'll become familiar with the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) process and learn and practice a group of basic problem-solving tools.
The Yellow Belt body of knowledge includes techniques for both qualitative and quantitative analysis, as well as the team leadership skills necessary to get projects across the goal line.
When you've completed this course, you'll be ready to play an important role as a valuable member of a Lean Six Sigma improvement team.
This course consists of six sessions, each of which is a collection of related lessons.
Individual lessons also include simulations, toolsets and interactive practice exercises. Each session ends with an interactive quiz to test your knowledge.
- Session 1 is an introduction that you can complete as a self-study assignment in 2-3 hours.
- Sessions 2-6 will show you how the basic tools and methods for each of the DMAIC phases of a project.
As you work through the course, you will learn valuable lessons on project selection, process mapping, team chartering skills and more.
Want to see what the course looks like? Then take our brief course tour.
The overall objective of this course is to develop a comprehensive set of skills that will allow you to function effectively as a Lean Six Sigma Team Member.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Communicate using Six Sigma concepts.
- Think about your organization as a collection of processes, with inputs that determine the output.
- Relate Lean Six Sigma concepts to the overall business mission and objectives.
- Use the concept of a Sigma Level to evaluate the capability of a process or organization.
- Understand and apply the five step DMAIC model as a framework to organize process improvement activity.
- Employ a wide range of process improvement techniques within the DMAIC model.
- Recognize the organizational factors that are necessary groundwork for a successful Lean Six Sigma effort.
- Employ your Six Sigma skills to lead a successful process improvement project delivering meaningful results to the organization.
- You have 365 days to complete this course.
- This course is targeted at a wide audience of Lean Six Sigma team members who need to gain familiarity with the overall methodology and basic tools of process improvement.
- This Yellow Belt course covers the DMAIC tools and techniques in far greater depth than the Lean Six Sigma Overview short course, but it is roughly a third of the commitment required for the next level up, the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt course.
- If you're looking for a solid, relatively quick introduction to the ideas and tools of process improvement, then this is the right course for you.
- Flexible: This course is presented in a logical, DMAIC format, but the sessions are modular, so you can explore the material as, how, and when you like.
- Accessible: Online training is available to you wherever you have an Internet connection and a browser.
- Responsive: The quizzes provide immediate feedback. The practice-based interactive exercise will engage your interest and help you to remember the material.
- Affordable: e-Learning has a far lower cost than classroom training. You have no travel expenses and don't miss valuable days at work.
- Meaningful: As proof of your expertise, you will receive a certificate of completion and CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Online training through MoreSteam is:
- Selected recent quotes from our alums:
- "This course is well worth it. It gives you step-by-step examples and is very, very helpful with getting you Lean Six Sigma certified."
- - Terrance S., College of Lake County
- "I was worried about loosing 28 hours out of my busy schedule. Now that I have completed the course, I am happy to say it was time well spent. I will put these learnings to work immediatly. Thanks!"
- - Joseph M., Hewlett Packard
- "This course was much more professional, thorough, and the closest simulation to traditional teaching that I have experienced."
- - Noah L., PPG Industries
- "I really enjoyed the course, the interaction between the theory and practise sessions were helpful. Would recommend to any company wanting to introduce six-sigma to their employees."
- - John J., Manitowoc Company
Session 1: Introduction to Lean Six Sigma • Course Introduction • Higher Standards for Higher Performance • Lean Six Sigma Defined • Input Determines Output • What's In a Name? • The 5 Lean Principles • The 8 Forms of Waste • Success Stories • The Sigma Level • The 99.9% Problem • DNA of a Champion • Lean Six Sigma Framework • DMAIC - The Lean Six Sigma Improvement Process • Lean and DMAIC • Organizing for Success • Working Relationships • Skill Check Session 2: Tools to Define • Introduction - Define • Project Charter Toolset • Focus on The Customer • Capturing The Voice Of The Customer • Where to Go For Customer Requirements • Affinity Diagram Toolset • CTQC Tree Diagram Toolset • Voice Of The Customer As Specifications • Process Thinking • The Source of Value • Value Stream Leverage • Process Mapping - Overview • Process Mapping (SIPOC) Toolset • Flow Charts • Value-Added Flow Charts • Spaghetti Charts • Value Stream Mapping Toolset • Skill Check Session 3: Tools to Measure • Introduction - Measure • Measurement & Metrics • Measurement As A Process • Baseline Performance • Calculating the Sigma Level - Toolset • Trend Chart Toolset • Histogram Toolset • Measuring Central Tendency • Quantifying Process Variability • SPC - Introduction and Background • X and Moving Range Charts - Toolset • Pareto Chart Toolset • Skill Check Session 4: Tools to Analyze • Introduction - Analyze • Cause & Effect Diagram Toolset • 5-Why, 1-How • Scatter Plot Toolset • Correlation and Regression Analysis • Skill Check Session 5: Tools to Improve • Introduction - Improve • Brainstorming • Benchmarking • FMEA Toolset • Continuous Flow Toolset • Quick Changeover Toolset • Replenishment Pull Overview • Error-proofing • Prioritizing and Selecting a Solution • The A3 One-Page Report • Piloting a Solution • Skill Check Session 6: Tools to Control • Introduction - Control • Control Charts Revisited • 5-S Approach • Visual Control • Control Plan • TPM Objectives & Benefits • Standardized Work - Documenting Process Changes • Session 6 Skill Check • Course Completion • The Lean Six Sigma Journey
This course is available in several "industry flavors": Manufacturing (default), Healthcare, Financial Services, and Services.
Each version features customized case studies, examples and exercises. You can select your version when you purchase the course.
We offer this course in languages other than English. View the outlines below and contact us directly for more information.
Chinese - Yellow Belt Training Outline
French - Yellow Belt Training Outline
German - Yellow Belt Training Outline
Portuguese - Yellow Belt Training Outline
Spanish (Latin American) - Yellow Belt Training Outline
Material Provided by MoreSteam.com
The course content includes a host of reference materials, video tutorials, practice data sets (provided as Microsoft Excel files) for engaging in statistical analysis, and an easily printed workbook for both note taking and additional exercises.
Material Provided by Student
MoreSteam eLearning is provided entirely online; all you need to access and make use of the course content is an internet connection, a modern browser and spreadsheet software. Please review the system requirements below.
When in your training course, you can use the on-screen Help features (e.g., glossary of terms and site search) for information. You can contact the Course Instructor by email during regular business hours to request assistance.
For general technical support, you can visit our MoreSteam University support section, where you can search through our online knowledgebase or send us a support request.
The following are system requirements for MoreSteam eLearning:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Latest version
- Flash 10 Player: Latest version
- Note: The course content requires that any pop-up blocker be disabled.
No additional requirements are necessary for EngineRoom Web.
When can I begin the course?
With e-Learning, you can start at any time after purchase. You do not have to wait for other students to fill a class or have to attend an instructor-led "kickoff" event. All the materials and instructions are online, and you can complete the course at your own pace.
Are there pre-requisites to this course?
This course has no pre-requisites.
Is there Yellow Belt certification?
There is no "certification" for a Yellow Belt that is the equivalent of the more complex Green Belt or Black Belt. Those certifications require advanced coursework, an online exam, and project completion, which are simply not necessary or appropriate for a Yellow Belt.
Companies looking for proof of Yellow Belt experience and knowledge will be satisfied with the Certification of Course Completion that you will receive after finishing all of the course quizzes.
Do you offer pricing discounts for groups of trainees and deployments?
Of course! Many of our larger customers send tens to hundreds of employees through Yellow Belt training. Please contact us directly to discuss your specific needs.