Charting Process Behavior (SPC)
This course will teach you the necessary tools to chart and understand process behavior over time.
The body of knowledge covered by this course of study is also known as Statistical Process Control (SPC) and Statistical Quality Control (SQC). This course follows a traditional process improvement format to show how and where you would apply SPC tools, but it does not assume prior knowledge of Lean Six Sigma.
This Charting Process Behavior course provides the necessary tools to chart and understand process behavior over time.
As you become proficient in all of the tools necessary chart process behavior, quantify variability, and assess process capability, you will be prepared to play an important role as part of an process improvement team.
The overall objective of this course is to teach you how to effectively apply SPC techniques and calculations in the MEASURE, ANALYZE, and CONTROL phases of a process improvement project.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the basics of measurement
- Construct and interpret a histogram
- Evaluate process performance over time using a Trend Chart
- Develop a sub-grouping strategy
- Construct and interpret Statistical Process Control charts for variable and attribute data
- Perform Capability Analysis
To successfully complete this course, you must review all of the lessons and complete all of the quiz modules.
This course consists of one session that is a collection of related lessons. Individual lessons include toolsets and interactive practice exercises, and the session ends with an interactive quiz to test your knowledge.
To help you to visualize how SPC works, we present the lessons within the context of a process improvement project, where process behavior charts (control charts) are often used in the Measure, Analyze, and Control phases of the DMAIC process.
On every page, you have access to a variety of helpful learning tools, from an online encyclopedia to a notes tab to support links. You can use the course navigation map to move through the course in a linear fashion or you can skip around and explore topics as you see fit.
Want to see what the course looks like? Then take our brief course tour.
Efficient, Informative and Accessible
- All of the content is available online, in an on-demand format, so you can study at your own pace. To begin, you simply log onto the MoreSteam University learning portal.
- You do not have to do a Six Sigma project as part of this course.
- You have 90 days to complete this course.
- Do you need a solid knowledge of process statistics and techniques? Then this is the right course for you.
- This course walks you through SPC from start to finish in the context of a project, with an emphasis on where, when and how to interpret data and run calculations. And because it's online, it offers you many learning advantages over a classroom-based course.
- Online training is ideal if you have limitations on your time, travel, and budget, especially if you've been asked to work your day-to-day job at the same time you need to learn statistical process control skills.
- Our courses provide you with content-on-demand, which means you can set your own schedule, progress at your own speed, and review and re-enter sessions whenever you wish. It's flexible, practice-based, and accessible whenever and wherever you need it.
- Flexible: This course is presented in a logical, DMAIC-based format, but the sessions are modular, so you can explore the material as, how, and when you like.
- Accessible: Online training is available to you wherever you have an Internet connection and a browser.
- Responsive: The quizzes provide immediate feedback. The practice-based interactive exercise will engage your interest and help you to remember the material.
- Affordable: e-Learning has a far lower cost than classroom training. You have no travel expenses and don't miss valuable days at work.
- Meaningful: As proof of your expertise, you will receive a certificate of completion and CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Online training through MoreSteam is:
- Selected recent quotes from our alums:
- "The Charting Process Behavior course is very well designed and structured. It is an efficient online educational program."
- - Siew L., Hewlett Packard
- "Outstanding course on SPC. The practice sessions and quiz require the student to understand the process and basic assumptions of why SPC will help the practitioner improve processes."
- - Wilson A.
- "This self paced, interactive course fits in with my schedule and my need perfectly."
- - Andrew B., Trelleborg
View the outline below
- This course has no pre-requisites. The course is designed such that you do not need to have prior knowledge of Lean Six Sigma.
Materials Provided by MoreSteam
- The course includes Microsoft® Excel® templates for project planning and problem solving. The templates are available as downloads within the course material.
Materials Provided by Student/Company
- General-purpose Statistics Software is useful but not necessary. Excel templates are provided by the course for statistical analysis. If you do not have a statistics package, options range from free internet downloads to higher-end packages like EngineRoom®, Minitab®, Statistica®, JMP® etc. You can download a 30-day evaluation copy of most statistics packages over the Web.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Office 2003 or higher is recommended. Office 97 and 2000 do not take advantage of all Excel template features.
When in your training course, you can use the on-screen Help features (e.g., glossary of terms and site search) for information. You can contact the Course Instructor by email during regular business hours to request assistance.
For general technical support, you can visit our MoreSteam University support section, where you can search through our online knowledgebase or send us a support request.
The following are system requirements for MoreSteam eLearning:
- The latest version of the following browsers:
Your browser is not supported.
- Display Properties Setting: Minimum 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
- Audio: Optional audio in course.
- Disable any pop-up blocker while in the course content.
- Microsoft 365®
- Note: Courses supporting Minitab® or JMP® contain Microsoft Excel® templates for the template tools not provided in those software packages.
Additional system requirements for Minitab and JMP courses include:
- Macro Security: Microsoft Excel macro security must be set to medium or lower.
- Toolpaks: The Microsoft Excel Analysis Toolpak and Analysis Toolpak VBA must be installed.
- The latest version of the following browsers:
When can I begin the course?
With e-Learning, you can start at any time after purchase. You do not have to wait for other students to fill a class or have to attend an instructor-led "kickoff" event. All the materials and instructions are online, and you can complete the course at your own pace.
Does this course include certification?
We do not offer a formal certification for our short courses. As proof of your training, you receive a formal certificate of completion when you pass all of the course quizzes. You also receive CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Do you offer pricing discounts for groups of trainees and deployments?
Of course! Many of our larger customers send tens to hundreds of employees through SPC training. Please contact us directly to discuss your specific needs.