Lean Six Sigma Overview Course
In this popular course, you will gain a broad understanding of the Lean Six Sigma improvement methodology, concepts, and language.
This introductory coursework is quick, informative, and an easy fit to your busy schedule.
This popular course will provide you with a broad understanding of the Lean Six Sigma improvement methodology, concepts, and language.
The course is targeted at team members who need to develop a general awareness of Lean Six Sigma: what it is, why it matters, what makes it successful.
This course provides an overview of Six Sigma concepts and language and an introduction to the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) process improvement cycle.
The overall objective of this course is to provide you with a first step toward successful implementation of process improvement methods by developing familiarity with the basic concepts and language of Lean Six Sigma.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Understand how Lean Methods and Six Sigma are integrated into a single process improvement initiative to achieve higher quality and greater process speed.
- Recognize the five step DMAIC model used to improve processes.
- Relate Lean Six Sigma concepts to the overall business mission and objectives or your organization or department.
- Communicate using Lean Six Sigma concepts.
- Think about your organization as a collection of processes, with inputs that determine the output.
- Recognize the organizational factors that are necessary groundwork for a successful process improvement program.
- Use the concept of a Sigma Level to evaluate the capability of a process or organization.
To successfully complete this course, you must review all of the lessons and complete all of the quiz modules.
This course consists of one session with interactive practice modules and an online quiz.
On every page, you have access to a variety of helpful learning tools, from an online encyclopedia to a notes tab to support links. You can use the course navigation map to move through the course in a linear fashion or you can skip around and explore topics as you see fit.
Want to see what the course looks like? Then take our brief course tour.
Efficient, Informative and Accessible
- All course content is presented online, in an on-demand format. To begin, you simply log onto the MoreSteam University learning portal.
- You will learn the DMAIC methodology through case studies and examples drawn from Service, Business Process, and Manufacturing applications.
- With a heavy practice orientation, as much as 1/3 of your time will be spent working through interactive practice exercises and online assessments.
- You have 60 days to complete this course.
- This overview is targeted at executives, team members, managers, supervisors and other individuals who need an understanding of Lean and Six Sigma but aren't expected to run projects or use the tools.
- Online training is ideal if you have limitations on your time, travel, and budget, especially if you've been asked to work your day-to-day job at the same time you need to learn Lean Methods. This course covers the very basics of Lean Six Sigma.
- Our courses provide you with content-on-demand, which means you can set your own schedule, progress at your own speed, and review and re-enter sessions whenever you wish. It's flexible, practice-based, and accessible whenever and wherever you need it.
- Flexible: This course is presented in a logical, DMAIC format, but the sessions are modular, so you can explore the material as, how, and when you like.
- Accessible: Online training is available to you wherever you have an Internet connection and a browser.
- Responsive: The quizzes provide immediate feedback. The practice-based interactive exercise will engage your interest and help you to remember the material.
- Affordable: e-Learning has a far lower cost than classroom training. You have no travel expenses and don't miss valuable days at work.
- Meaningful: As proof of your expertise, you will receive a certificate of completion and CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Online training through MoreSteam is:
- Selected recent quotes from our alums:
- "An excellent introduction to a complex yet extremely useful subject."
- - Kevin Q.
- "Well thought out training and easy to navigate."
- - Lori S., Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group
- "I really liked the overall content of the material that was online. It helped me learn so much about Six Sigma that I never knew about. It was a great tool, and I highly recommend it to others!"
- - Starr W., Avocent
- "Very well prepared. I was a bit intimidated about taking an online course. It has been years since I have taken a course, and this course was prepared well and not intimidating at all."
- - Steve M., Velcro
This course is available in several "industry flavors": Manufacturing (default), Healthcare, Financial Services, and Services.
Each version features customized case studies, examples and exercises. You can select your version when you purchase the course.
We offer this course in these additional languages:
Chinese (ZH) | German (DE) | Portuguese (PT) | Spanish (ES) | French (FR) | Italian (IT) | Polish (PL)
View the outlines below
English (EN) - LSS Overview Outline
Chinese (ZH) - LSS Overview Outline
German (DE) - LSS Overview Outline
Portuguese (PT) - LSS Overview Outline
Spanish (ES) - LSS Overview Outline
French (FR) - LSS Overview Outline
Italian (IT) - LSS Overview Outline
Polish (PL) - LSS Overview Outline
- This course has no pre-requisites.
Materials Provided by MoreSteam
- Microsoft® Excel® templates for problem solving and statistical analysis - available as downloads within the course material.
Materials Provided by Student/Company
- General Purpose Statistics Software is useful but not necessary. Excel templates are provided by the course for statistical analysis. If you do not have a statistics package, options range from free internet downloads to higher-end packages like Minitab, Statistica, JMP etc. You can download a 30-day evaluation copy of most statistics packages over the Web.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Office 2003 or higher is recommended. Office 97 and 2000 do not take advantage of all Excel template features.
When in your training course, you can use the on-screen Help features (e.g., glossary of terms and site search) for information. You can contact the Course Instructor by email during regular business hours to request assistance.
For general technical support, you can visit our MoreSteam University support section, where you can search through our online knowledgebase or send us a support request.
The following are system requirements for MoreSteam eLearning:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows (7 and higher) or Apple Mac OS X
- Microsoft Office®: English-language (U.S.) version 2007 or higher.
- Network: Microsoft Excel must be running locally. EngineRoom will not perform correctly if you are running Microsoft Excel over a network as a distributed application.
- Versions: Only one version of Microsoft Excel can exist. EngineRoom will not perform correctly if there are multiple versions of Microsoft Excel installed on a single computer.
- Macro Security: EngineRoom contains macros; therefore Microsoft Excel macro security must be set to medium or lower.
- Toolpaks: The Microsoft Excel Analysis Toolpak and Analysis Toolpak VBA must be installed.
- Display Properties Setting: Minimum 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
- Audio: Optional audio in course.
- Chrome: Version 23+
- Edge: Version 3+
- Firefox: Version 17+
- Internet Explorer: Version 11+ (non-tablet)
- Safari: Version 6+
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Latest version
Note: The course content requires that any pop-up blocker be disabled.
When can I begin the course?
With e-Learning, you can start at any time after purchase. You do not have to wait for other students to fill a class or have to attend an instructor-led "kickoff" event. All the materials and instructions are online, and you can complete the course at your own pace.
Does this course include certification?
We do not offer a formal certification for our short courses. As proof of your training, you receive a formal certificate of completion when you pass all of the course quizzes. You also receive CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Do you offer pricing discounts for groups of trainees and deployments?
Of course! Many of our larger customers send tens to hundreds of employees through this training. Please contact us directly to discuss your specific needs.