Kaizen Leader Course
The Kaizen Leader training is available as a standalone eLearning course for individuals and may also be combined with facilitated role-play simulations for training groups of Kaizen Leaders in a corporate blended learning model.
The online Kaizen Leader course develops skills needed to effectively plan and lead a Kaizen Event, i.e., a series of process improvement activities intended to extend over a period of 3-5 days. The course provides a flexible framework for planning, executing and reporting Kaizen activities. The course content includes essential lean tools and techniques to identify and eliminate process waste including: value stream mapping, continuous flow, takt time, kaizen, line balancing, quick changeover, and 5-S, among others.
For more in-depth and coverage of a broader range of Lean Method topics, we suggest our Lean Methods Accelerator course.
NOTE: This course comes with EngineRoom® statistical software at no additional charge. EngineRoom® is MoreSteam.com's preferred software and will be available to Kaizen Leader students for 365 days with the purchase of this course.
This instructor-supported course is approximately 22 hours long, and you have access to the materials for 365 days.
This course consists of six sessions, each of which is a collection of related lessons, covering Kaizen activities structured in a 5-day Kaizen framework.
Individual lessons include simulations, toolsets and interactive practice exercises. Each session ends with an interactive quiz to test your knowledge.
- Session 1 provides an overview of Kaizen and Kaizen Leadership, Lean Methods, background, and integration of Lean within the Six Sigma improvement process (DMAIC).
- Sessions 2 covers Pre-Event Planning, including lessons on team formation and dynamics, as well as keys to successful project execution.
- Sessions 3 includes lessons on how to develop and apply specific Lean tools and methods to describe the current state of the process under study.
- Sessions 4 covers tools and techniques to identify root causes of process problems and possible solutions.
- Sessions 5 offers principles and possible tools for implementing change(s).
- Sessions 6 concludes the course with lessons on closing out the project and locking in gains.
Each lesson is devoted to one of a variety of helpful learning tools, and includes access to supplemental resources, from an online encyclopedia to a notes tab to support links. The course navigation map affords movement through the course in a linear fashion or by skipping around and exploring topics as needed.
The overall objective of this course is to provide you with the skills and tools to effectively plan and lead a Kaizen event.
The interactive exercises, varied examples, session quizzes and rigorous practice exercises throughout the course will provide you with abundant challenge, testing your knowledge and building your skills.
To successfully complete this course, you must review all of the lessons and complete all of the quiz modules.
Efficient, Informative and Accessible
- All course content is presented online, in an on-demand format. To begin, you simply log onto the MoreSteam University learning portal.
- Numerous case studies and examples focus on service and transactional processes, as well as production applications.
- With a heavy practice orientation, as much as 1/2 of your time will be spent working through interactive practice exercises and online assessments.
- You have 365 days to complete this course.
- Do you need solid knowledge of how to plan and execute focused efforts to solve a process problem? Then our Kaizen Leader course is for you.
- Our online Kaizen Leader training is ideal if you seek information and practice about the principles of continuous improvement and team leadership. If you have limitations on your time, travel, and budget, and especially if you've been asked to work your day-to-day job at the same time you need to develop Kaizen leadership skills. The course covers Kaizen planning, working with teams to implement Kaizen analysis and change management. Our courses provide you with content-on-demand, which means you can set your own schedule, progress at your own speed, and review and re-enter sessions whenever you wish. For example, after completing the course you can review the content and access the tools when you need just-in-time refresher training when starting another Kaizen cycle.
- Flexible: This course is presented in a logical format organized by Kaizen event day, but the sessions are modular, so you can explore the material however and whenever you like.
- Accessible: Online training is available to you wherever you have an Internet connection and a browser.
- Responsive: The quizzes provide immediate feedback. The practice-based interactive exercise will engage your interest and help you to remember the material.
- Affordable: e-Learning has a far lower cost than classroom training. You have no travel expenses and don't miss valuable days at work.
- Meaningful: As proof of your expertise, you will receive a certificate of completion and CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Online training through MoreSteam is:
- We are gathering survey results upon completion of the course. Check back soon for comments from our students.
Session 1: Introduction to Kaizen • Introduction • Kaizen: Laying the Groundwork • The Kaizen Schedule - Pre-work • The Kaizen Schedule - Event Week • The 5 Lean Principles • The 8 Forms of Waste • DMAIC - The Lean Six Sigma Improvement Process • Lean and DMAIC • Kaizen Measurements • Baseline Performance • Introduction to EngineRoom® • Skill Check Session 2: Pre-Event Planning • Preparing for the Kaizen Event • Leading Teams • Developing an Effective Team • Improving Team Development • 4 Conversations Toolset • Success Factors For Effective Change Management • Project Charter Toolset • Process Mapping (SIPOC) Toolset • The Key to Successful Project Execution • Project Planning & Tracking Toolset • Skill Check Session 3: Kaizen Day 1: Understanding the Current State • Kaizen: Day 1 • Kaizen Event - Day 1 Schedule • Process Thinking • The Source of Value • Value Stream Leverage • Takt Time • Value-Added Flow Charts • Spaghetti Charts • Value Stream Mapping Toolset • The Theory of Constraints (TOC) Toolset • Skill Check Session 4: Kaizen Day 2: Root Causes and Solutions • Kaizen: Day 2 • Kaizen Event - Day 2 Schedule • Cause & Effect Diagram Toolset • 5-Why, 1-How • Scatter Plot Toolset • Brainstorming • Skill Check Session 5: Kaizen Days 3 and 4: Implementing Change • Kaizen: Day 3 and 4 • Kaizen Event - Day 3 & 4 Schedule • FMEA Toolset • Continuous Flow Toolset • Quick Changeover Toolset • Replenishment Pull Overview • Error-proofing • Prioritizing and Selecting a Solution • The A3 One-Page Report • Piloting a Solution • Skill Check Session 6: Kaizen Day 5: Project Close and Follow-up • Kaizen: Day 5 • Kaizen Event - Day 5 Schedule • Control Charts Revisited • 5-S Approach • Visual Control • Control Plan • TPM Objectives & Benefits • Standardized Work - Documenting Process Changes • Ending the Project • Session 6 Skill Check • Course Completion
This course is available in several "industry flavors": Manufacturing (default), Healthcare, Financial Services, and Services.
Each version features customized case studies, examples and exercises. You can select your version when you purchase the course.
- This course has no prerequisites. However, our experience in developing the course content and engineering accompanying role-play workshops reveals that individuals having prior knowledge of Lean Methods, including specific process improvement tools and collaborative problem-solving techniques, are better prepared to undertake a leadership role in an environment implementing Kaizen. For those individuals seeking a broader treatment of Lean Methods, we recommend our Lean Methods Accelerator course.
Material Provided by MoreSteam.com
The course content includes a host of reference materials, video tutorials, practice data sets (provided as Microsoft Excel files) for engaging in statistical analysis, and an easily printed workbook for both note taking and additional exercises.
This course includes one year of access to the web-based version of MoreSteam's EngineRoom® data analysis and process improvement tool. Additional access time is available for purchase.
Material Provided by Student
MoreSteam eLearning is provided entirely online; all you need to access and make use of the course content is an internet connection, a modern browser and spreadsheet software. Please review the system requirements below.
When in your training course, you can use the on-screen Help features (e.g., glossary of terms and site search) for information. You can contact the Course Instructor by email during regular business hours to request assistance.
For general technical support, you can visit our MoreSteam University support section, where you can search through our online knowledgebase or send us a support request.
The following are system requirements for MoreSteam eLearning:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Latest version
- Flash 10 Player: Latest version
- Note: The course content requires that any pop-up blocker be disabled.
No additional requirements are necessary for EngineRoom Web.
When can I begin the course?
With e-Learning, you can start at any time after purchase. You do not have to wait for other students to fill a class or have to attend an instructor-led "kickoff" event. All the materials and instructions are online, and you can complete the course at your own pace.
Does this course include certification?
We do not offer a formal Kaizen Leader certification. As proof of your training, you receive a formal certificate of completion when you complete all of the course quizzes. You are also eligible to receive CEUs or PDUs of credit.
Do you offer pricing discounts for groups of trainees and deployments?
Of course! Many of our larger customers send tens to hundreds of employees through Lean Methods training. Please contact us directly to discuss your specific needs.