What's New with EngineRoom for Excel
MoreSteam has enhanced EngineRoom for Excel to meet the demands of our many process improvement customers.
We now offer an online version of EngineRoom, which will eventually be replacing the Excel-based version. Learn more about this amazing new Web-based version of EngineRoom.
As we released new versions of EngineRoom for Excel, the details are listed on this page. Engineroom 6.1 is the most powerful version yet for Excel.
- EngineRoom for Excel 6.1
- EngineRoom for Excel 6.0
- EngineRoom for Excel 5.1
- EngineRoom for Excel 5.09
- EngineRoom for Excel 5.0
EngineRoom for Excel 6.1 (Released December 22, 2011)
EngineRoom version 6.1 introduces a new simulation wizard, and improved charting and help features.
MonteCarlo Simulation Analysis Wizard Module
MonteCarlo Simulation is a problem-solving technique that approximates the probability of different outcomes (e.g., evaluates the performance of proposed process changes) by running thousands of trial runs, or simulations, using input variables that demonstrate random behavior.
While previous versions of EngineRoom have included a MonteCarlo template, you can now use the MonteCarlo wizard module, which leads you step-by-step through the setup to run a MonteCarlo simulation analysis on your process model. Features include up to seven variable inputs, four random distribution types, the ability to create a transfer function form an Excel formula, output charts, and sensitivity analysis.
The Process Capability analysis output now includes the Sigma Level.
You can now compare your time series to the median or mean of the series to get a better visual of the absence or presence of trends in reference to the center of the data.
You now have the option of including a data table at the bottom of the output chart from the Pareto analysis.
Access to Tutorials
You can now access all available tutorials on the tools within EngineRoom directly through the EngineRoom Help menu. These interactive tutorials walk you through the tool usage and provide example data to help you practice your new skills. New tutorials are frequently added.
EngineRoom for Excel 6.0 (Released August 1, 2011)
EngineRoom version 6.0 introduces expanded tool functionality and adds new ease-of-use features for faster and simpler data selection and analysis. This version is compatible with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Excel 2010.
New Data Management Feature
The EngineRoom ribbon now includes a new 'Manage Data' category to allow you to work your data into a form that is acceptable and appropriate for further analysis. Among the options are: Anderson-Darling Normality Test, Data Stack/Unstack function, Rank and Percentiles, and eight data transformations.
Improved Data Selection Interface
Selecting your data for testing has never been easier. The tool dialog boxes now identify the type of variable, giving you guidance on which data types are allowed for a particular tool and restricting your ability to select an incompatible form of data. This new version also includes a number of data manipulation features (see above).
Two New Options for Process Capability
(1) Process Capability Complete - a complete report of process capability that yields an XmR or Xbar and R chart, Histogram, Run chart, Normal Probability plot and a Capability plot, in addition to the capability statistics and estimated standard deviations (within and overall/between subgroups).
(2) Process Capability Snapshot - a shorter "snapshot' of process capability that displays process characteristics and a summary of the process capability statistics, including confidence intervals and the capability histogram.
Anderson Darling Normality Test
Available via the Hypothesis Testing menu (Analyze), this standard tool helps you to test up to three variables for normality and recommends the most appropriate transformation if any is found to be non-normal. The output displays a normal probability (Q-Q) plot, along with descriptive statistics for the sample and the Anderson Darling test statistic and p-value. A shortcut version is also available through the Manage Data menu, without the transform option.
Matrix Plot (multiple scatterplots in a grid)
EngineRoom now creates scatterplots of multiple pairs of variables. This matrix format allows you to graphically and simultaneously evaluate comparisons of multiple associations.
Expanded Quality Function Deployment (QFD)
We've expanded the QFD tool from two houses to four houses. This approach recognizes that a complete QFD analysis involves four stages of needs refinement, taking you from functional requirements to critical to quality characteristics to the quality control plan/key process variables.
EngineRoom for Excel 5.1 Update (Released February 2011)
EngineRoom version 5.1 introduces several new Lean and finance templates and adds ease-of-use features with requested tool enhancements.
New Lean Templates
Version 5.1 now includes several new powerful and unique Lean templates: Core Process Pull, Replenishment Pull, and Standard Work
New Financial Return Calculator
This Return on Investment (ROI) calculator is configured specifically to help you calculate the benefits of your Lean Six Sigma projects.
Attribute MSA Improvements
The Attribute Measurement System Analysis output now includes extra statistics in the form of Fleiss' Kappa statistic (for binary/nominal categories) and Kendall's Coefficient of Concordance (for ordinal categories) to measure the level of agreement among raters and between the raters and a standard.
Enhancements for Other Tools
We have also added extended functionality for histograms, hypothesis testing (Note: the One Proportion large sample approximation procedure no longer employs the continuity correction factor), Power Sample Size, Fishbone Diagram, Gantt Chart, Blocked Anova, and more.
Improved Installation Process
Beginning with this version, you no longer need to choose between downloads based on your version of Excel. You now install from a single EngineRoom download that automatically detects your Excel version and then installs the compatible version of EngineRoom.
EngineRoom for Excel 5.09 Update (Released March 2010)
This update adds several features to those listed below for version 5.0:
The ability to update control charts with new data has been added.
The capability to input a single variable as raw data has been added. The ability to combine items over a user-specified value of cumulative percentage into a single category has been added.
New items are created in rows of 5 rather than a single row (when you create ten new items, they will display in two rows of five items each).
The number of variables allowed in a data sheet has increased from 13 to 50.
The ability to override the calculated bin size has been added.
EngineRoom for Excel 5.0: Design of Experiments for Everyone! (Released November 2009)
A major new addition in EngineRoom 5.0 is the Design of Experiments (DOE) module, which employs an intuitive, user-friendly Wizard for experimental design selection and analysis in "plain English." This completes the suite of statistical tools in EngineRoom for integration with a Lean Six Sigma training course.
EngineRoom's unique, interactive DOE Wizard guides you step-by-step through the process of experimental design creation and analysis. Now the power and efficiency of DOE is available to practitioners of all skill levels to help achieve major breakthroughs in product and process improvements.
- Question & Answer Wizard in plain English to guide you through the process of selecting the right design for your purpose.
- Handy DOE Map for quick selection of desired design.
- Two-level full and fractional factorial designs for two to eight factors. Designs for Screening as well as Ruggedness testing objectives.
- Multi-level (up to five levels each) General full factorial designs for two to five factors.
- Estimate of Power for current design and Number of replications required to attain 80% and 90% power (two-level designs only).
- Blocking and replication options.
- Automatically randomized design runs that can also be sorted by standard order.
- Ability to analyze up to two output (response) variables per design.
- Effects plots (Half-Normal, Pareto) with significant effects highlighted, for two-level designs.
- Numerical output (Effects and Coefficients, ANOVA table, R-squared, Adjusted R-squared) and model equation for the significant effects in coded as well as uncoded units of measurement. (General factorial output does not show effects or the uncoded model)
- Diagnostic plots (Normal probability plot, Histogram, Residuals vs. Fits and Residuals vs. Run Order).
- Factorial plots (main effects, two-factor interactions, cube plots).
Additional Enhancements in Version 5.0
- The Power & Sample size for Hypothesis tests
- DOE Planning Worksheet Template
- Cumulative Sums Control Chart (CUSUM) and Exponentially Weighted Moving Averages Control Chart (EWMA) Templates
- Template for RACI matrix (Stakeholder analysis): 'Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed' matrix
- Critical to Quality Characteristic (CTQC) Tree improvements
- Deletion warning when clicking "Clear" in the Affinity Diagram
- Miscellaneous textual corrections